Conde Naste Traveler recently published an article reporting on best times to book flights. Here’s a quick scan of their insights:
The real differentiator is actually the day you’re flying. Tuesdays through Fridays are the best for departures, whether you’re flying internationally or domestically, Expedia and flight tracker Hopper found. Flying out on a Saturday or Sunday? Expect to pay a premium.”
The best times to book flights depending on the season
- Spring flights: Reserve 84 days in advance.
- Summer flights: Buy 99 days prior or at least 5 weeks in advance.
- Fall flights: Book 66 days ahead. For U.S. Thanksgiving reserve in late September, but after that prices don’t fluctuate much until October 31.
- Winter flights: Reserve 94 days prior to traveling. Book Christmas and New Years flights at least two months before.
When to reserve by destination
- To Europe: For summer travel to Europe, the lowest fares are 160 days prior and best deals early June, late August or September
- To Asia: Reserve 120 days beforehand with best fares in June.
- To Africa: Start planning 6 months prior. Work with a safari specialist. Best deals are 199 days prior. February is the least expensive time to fly.
Other useful info
- Best days to fly domestic: Tuesday and Wednesday
- The consistently best day for flight deals is the Tuesday following Cyber Monday (near Nov 27).
The fastest way to check a variety of flight options is with Opptee Travel Search. Use the app to search flights on Expedia, Booking.com, Southwest and many more. While looking for flights, also browse hotels (like Marriott, Hilton) as well as private rentals like Airbnb and VRBO.com. Opptee simplifies your search by listing the most popular travel sites within one app. All you need do is enter travel details once and those details are transferred across to every site you search within Opptee.
View the full Conde Nast Traveler article: The Best Time to Buy Airline Tickets